Do You Know About This Compelling Grant Available for Canadian Businesses?
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA), incorporated in 1998, is a member-driven not-for-profit organization with approximately 15,000 members and growing. The not-for-profit organization manages the.CA Internet domain, as well as the entire country’s involvement in international Internet governance. CIRA’s top priority is the safe and secure management of our top-level domain. After all, there are more than 2.6 billion .CA domains registered so far!
How Do I Become a Member?
CIRA offers membership to anyone who holds a .CA domain as the cost of membership is included in the cost you’re already paying for your domain. It’s simple, just click here to get started. Why should you become a member? There are tons of great benefits that come along with membership, including the ability to:
- Take part in membership surveys regarding Internet issues
- Attend local networking events for the purpose of business development
- Contribute to the development of the Internet worldwide
- Receive newsletters on the latest Internet initiatives, trends, and issues
- And more
CIRA also offers the Community Investment Program wherein they help fund community projects for the purpose of achieving the safest, strongest and most accessible Internet possible throughout the country. The program has already funded over 102 projects with $4.2 million distributed to help:
- Build new infrastructure
- Deliver innovative online services
- Research and address emerging digital issues
- And more
How Can I Apply for a Grant?
The application period to apply for a CIRA grant is open until February 28th, 2018. Click here to get started! CIRA is contributing roughly $1 million to not-for-profit organizations, researchers, and charities who qualify by showcasing the good things they’re doing for and through the Internet.
If you have an initiative or program that helps build a better online throughout the country, don’t hesitate to apply for a CIRA grant! The typical grant will be between $25,000 and $50,000 with a maximum amount of $100,000. That’s a lot of money to help you make a lot of progress with your project!
Still not convinced applying for a CIRA grant is an awesome idea? Here are a few good reasons to apply:
- You’ll be making a positive difference: Over the years, those taking advantage of the program for their projects have made a huge positive difference throughout the country – from providing reliable Internet in remote communities to helping children develop coding skills.
- You’ll be contributing to the benefits of the Internet: We know the Internet offers a multitude of benefits – helping us shop, bank, learn, and stay in touch with friends and family. Your project will contribute to the benefits of the Internet and how it keeps us connected to the world around us.
- You’ll be helping give back to something you enjoy: If you enjoy the Internet, which let’s be honest, we all do – you’ll get the unique opportunity to give back and act as an advocate for safe, secure, accessible Internet for everyone! What could be better than helping to further improve something you already enjoy?
CIRA prioritizes investing in projects that contribute to the Internet’s development, growth, and security, such as:
- Online services for disadvantaged individuals
- Access to the Internet and/or devices for rural or remote communities
- Secure and reliable infrastructure for rural or remote communities
- Activities that promote knowledge-sharing for enhanced Internet governance
- Research into the technological side of the Internet
- Initiatives that improve policy-making participation from the public
However, there are some restrictions. CIRA will not fund any projects that take place outside of the country, focus on website development and design, or provide generic information technology training. CIRA will also not fund marketing, retrospective costs, core operations like staff salaries, and more.
For more information on funding restrictions, click here. CIRA only accepts one application at a time from each organization, and if you’ve already received a grant in the past, you’re still able to re-apply, but you must submit your final report from your last project. Once you’ve submitted your application, CIRA staff will review to ensure completeness.
After CIRA staff has reviewed your application, it will be sent to the investment committee for their consideration. Based on established criteria and funding available, CIRA’s board of directors will then make final decisions on which organizations will receive grants for their projects. In May 2019, approval letters and contracts will be sent!
What If I Don’t Get an Approval Letter and Contract?
If you don’t get an approval letter and contract, CIRA staff will communicate with you that your application was not successful and you will not be receiving a grant. You can always re-apply in the future. CIRA states that applicants have been unsuccessful in the past due to a lack of clarity regarding their project outcomes, concerns surrounding their project’s budget, and a general lack of innovation.
It’s absolutely worth applying for a CIRA grant as you’re able to contribute to the Internet’s development, growth, and security – and who wouldn’t want to be a part of something as huge as our country’s online world?
Call (403) 380-3343 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions about applying for a CIRA grant. As your IT support experts, we’re here to help your company thrive in today’s technologically advanced business environment.